Thomas McCarthy joins 2012

Thomas McCarthy, Writer / Director of the indie sleeper hit, The Visitor, has landed a role in Roland Emmerich's 2012.

McCarthy, currently on a cross-Europe jaunt promoting the immigration-themed Visitor, joins an ensemble cast led by John Cusack that includes Amanda Peet, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Thandie Newton, Danny Glover and Oliver Platt.

McCarthy will play the boyfriend of Peet, who is the ex-wife of Cusack's character.

McCarthy said he is driven to roles like this out of curiosity.

"As an actor, I've never worked on anything with this scale before, and I always go see these movies," he said. "And then there's the director part of me. I get really excited about working with directors like this, who do things that are so wildly different from me. And he really is. He works on a totally different canvas.

"It's something (Gersh agent Rhonda Price) and I talk about: finding new things to do that are different and exciting from what we've done before, and this fits the bill."

Filming is set to begin in Vancouver on 2012 in late July, although they seem to be producing under the name Farewell Atlantis.

Comments